Tuesday, April 10, 2007

What are kids reading these days?

As a nerd and a teacher, I just read this article in Teacher Magazine about teaching young adult literature in schools, and the controversy that surrounds some of these contemporary texts. It seems that though these recent publications could be more realistic because of their modern settings, I can't help but gasp that some parents could consider a YA novel more violent or disturbing than something like Crime and Punishment--a novel that was part of my high school curriculum, and also one that I loved. Nonetheless, it's an interesting argument.

I'd love to see what the curriculum for high school students does look like these days. Any teachers out there? Or anybody have a particular favorite from their own school days?

No comments: