Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Susan B. Komen Race for the Cure

See me? I'm TOUGH.

I'm the first to admit that my life gets busy. I've got something planned every day, and it feels like I'm putting every minute to use. I spend my time commuting on the T knitting, I write emails while I watch TV, I eat while I walk. I even sleep with a book resting on my forehead just in case reading by osmosis is more than a pipe-dream. But this weekend, I am slowing down just a bit so that I can do something good for someone else.

Fringe copyeditor Karen Crosby pulled together a team to participate in the Susan B. Komen Race for the Cure, taking place in Boston this coming Sunday, September 23rd.

I've already raised $345.00 for the cause, and I can't tell you how happy I am to be spending a few hours walking with a group of dedicated Fringies and surrounded by breast cancer survivors and supporters of all shapes and sizes. Look out your windows and watch your TVs, because the Fringe team will be sporting Fringe T-shirts that day.

I can't help thinking about the women I know personally who have dealt with breast cancer. Some have been lucky, and some haven't. Aunt Judy, Aunt Karen, Aunt Donna, Nancee Sherman, Gretchen Stark, and Anne Marie McAvey, I'm racing for you. This is a women's issue, and it's not going away. What is there to do but sink my teeth into helping any way I can?

No comments: