Friday, September 21, 2007

Beauty and the Geek

Sometimes late at night when I am freelancing, I watch dumb TV. I like the background noise, and the lame characters keep me company.

Well, last night I caught an encore of the season premiere of Ashton Kutcher's Beauty and the Geek. The premise of the show is simple: dumb, dumb girls who can't read or do math (but who are beautiful) are tutored by smart, geeky guys. And in return, the girls teach the guys social graces, like knowing about pop culture, buying jewelry and outfits, and how to do their hair.

Last night, though, there was a twist. This season, one of the geeks is a GIRL, and one of the beauties is a BOY. Oh my goodness, how scandalous. There are really smart girls out there? And of course, any girl who is as smart as these geeky guys has no hope of actually being pretty. No way. Pigtails and horn-rimmed glasses are no match for slutty outfits, fake boobs and a minimum of 5 hrs primping time daily.

Ppppffftt.

What would Ashton do if he saw the editorial staff of Fringe Magazine? Would his idea of a pretty girl be shattered? I mean, is there a law against being pretty AND smart?

No comments: