Monday, January 21, 2008

Building my children's book library

As you all must know by now, I'm pregnant. My little boy is due at the end of April, and I find myself feeling both excited and scared about the prospect of being a mom. I spend the wee hours of the night tossing and turning, trying to find a comfortable position, and obsessing about how I am going to teach this child my values.

Well, the other night, I spent a good two hours (between 3 and 5 a.m.) thinking about the books my parents used to read me when I was little, and I decided to make a list of the ones I remembered the best. They were books that taught me about sharing, forgiveness, perseverance, humor and love. So here's my short list. (I didn't want to overwhelm you with all 2 hours of brainstorming)
  • Blueberries for Sal by Robert McCloskey (sharing, nature)
  • Katy and the Big Snow by Virginia Lee Burton (patience and perseverance)
  • The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein (love)
  • Stone Soup by Marcia Brown (positive attitude)
  • Strega Nona by Tomie dePaola (honesty and consequences)
  • The Giant Jam Sandwich by John Vernon Lord (community and problem-solving)
  • Wacky Wednesday by Dr Seuss (humor)
And now I am asking you to help me out. Which books contributed to your childhood memories? Why did you like them? I need some inspiration for my Amazon.com books-only baby registry.

3 comments:

Lizzie said...

My favorites? Definitely...

The Runaway Bunny (your mother will love you no matter what)

Goodnight Moon

One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish Blue Fish (If you have not done these things, you should! These things are fun, and fun is good)

Where the Wild Things Are

I'm sure I have a few more I'm crazy about too...I'll keep thinking.

Katie said...

Brave Irene by William Steig and The Paper Bag Princess by Robert Munsch.
Both excellent books by men about smart, courageous, feisty girls.

great post, Julia! what a wonderful project...

SarahJane said...

I was over-Suessed as a kid. I don't think we read much else. A lot of the children's books I really love I discovered as a mother. My favorite is Wanda Gag's "The Funny Thing," and I also love the whole Frog & Toad series, though probably more than my kids did.
Good luck, good health to you!